Ah, the life before Crohn’s Disease. What a great life it was. Besides being so much more sociable, I was able to eat whatever I wanted and whenever I wanted. I don’t brag much, but I would not gain weight, even if I ate tons and tons of calories. Here is a explanation of the food I miss. If I would eat these types of quantities of food now, I would get very sick. Oye to Crohn’s.
The Foods I Used to Love:
- Steak – Red meat is hard to digest even with an “iron stomach.” I would have a steak at least once a week.
- Red Sauce – Got to love this Italian treat. I used to eat regular plain pizza, spaghetti and meatballs. So so good. Today, I am in the bathroom for the night if I have lots of red sauce. The acid in the sauce is way too much for my colon…or lack there of.
- Seeded Anything – I love the crunch! I have to stay away from seeded bagels, rolls, and other food items now as I have read that the seeds do not digest well. They could make my small bowel very ulcerated.
- Salad – Oh my gosh! This is a food item that I strongly miss. I used to make my own salad, and have it a few times a week. I would also go to Salad Works and order a big salad on the weekends. I liked the healthy food option. Leafy greens do not digest well for me, and make me have a ton of urgency now.
- Ice Cream – My favorite snack! Although I have a few spoonful’s once or twice a month now, I used to have so much way back when. I loved milkshakes and sundaes. The milk does not agree too much with my stomach.
Could this list go on and on? Absolutely. I could think of hundreds of foods that I used to eat. It all comes down to self control and management. It took me a long time to train my mind. I had to train my mind to stay way from foods that I love. Think about it: It’s like being on a constant diet. I actually have to do a “cross-benefit analysis” when I come across these food items. I ask myself, how much am I going to suffer if I eat this food item?
Don’t worry, in another article I am going to explain about a few times when I did eat the above items! Being a Crohn’s patient for eleven years now, it took a long time to understand that bland food (not a lot of seasoning or sauces/gravy) was going to be part of my norm. Every day is a struggle for me when it comes to food. I always want what I cannot have.
What foods did you have to give up after you were diagnosed with IBD?
I know everyone’s disease is different, but are there any diet tips anybody wants to share with me to make things easier? Thank you!